First of all I traveled to Lome, Togo with some friends one weekend. Lome is the capital of Togo and is a beautiful beach town. It's about a 4 hour trotro ride from Accra but believe me, it was a different world. They speak French in Togo and I unfortunately do not. Luckily I had some friends along with me who were actually pretty fluent and were able to translate everything. Also instead of using car taxis they used motorcycle taxis. Crazy, and yet so much fun. It is a little daunting at first to be riding on the back of a motorcycle with some random driver but then you look around and realize that you are on the back of a motorcycle riding along the oceanside while in Togo.
I had so much fun in Togo swimming, walking around, riding motorcycles, etc. that was until I got food poisoning from a "Togolese salad" that I ate while there. It didn't hit me until Sunday night as soon as I returned to Accra. The next couple of days were let's just say, not fun. Even so the trip to Togo was amazing and I was able to renew my Ghanaian visa and get a really cool visa stamp from Togo in my passport. I want to go back so badly. I may have to stop over again before I leave (but this time be sure to avoid the salad). :)
| Oceanside road in Lome, Togo |
I have also been stressing a little bit over the lecturer strike. It's now the third week that the professors have been on strike. Some professors have agreed to teach international students so that we may receive credit for our classes but others have refused to do this. And since the student body has found out about this agreement there is now talk of a student protest since they feel it's unfair that international students be taught and not them. While I agree with their point, I'm just really ready for things to go back to normal and for classes to resume (with the Ghanaian students). Class is not as much fun when it's just two "oburonis" for two hours with the professor. Slightly weird.
This past weekend we went to Kumasi. While there I was able to visit what is thought to be the "largest market in West Africa". It was huge and I believe deserves the title of the "largest market". You could literally buy anything there. I saw everything from snails, okra, adapters, clothes, soap, dvds, clothes, etc. It was so chaotic and yet functioned perfectly well at the same time. While there I bought some beautiful fabric that I plan to get a dress made out of as well as a bag. Every time I see batik fabric I can't help myself, I have to buy some because it is so beautiful. You guys can be sure that you are receiving some once I return. :)
| Storefronts on the outskirts of the market |
| Crossing the road in front of the Kumasi Market |
Time has literally flown by here. It's so crazy that I've been able to see so many things in such a little time and I'm sad that the semester is going by so quickly. Everyday I learn something new be it language, culture, customs, etc. As a result I've begun to pick up some of the Ghanaian mannerisms and sayings. I have often thought about how strange I'm going to sound back in the US using things like "Chale!" (equivalent of "dude" or "bro") or trying to bargain for prices. I think I'm even going to miss hearing "Oburoni!" whenever I walk by a group of people. Anyhow I'm beginning to ramble a bit so I think I'll end here. :) Nante yie.
P.S. Vivian, think about going to Togo. Beautiful beaches. Hahaha. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment